Pages

Sunday 20 January 2019

Summer Learning Journey - Week 4: Day 2

DAY 2: Protecting Our Own


Activity 1: A Flying Fox [4 points]


New Zealand has some of the most beautiful forests in the world. Both New Zealanders and tourists, alike, enjoy walking through these forests. Unfortunately, constantly walking through forests can damage the plants and animals (flora and fauna) that live there. In an attempt to protect the local flora and fauna, an eco-tourism company in Rotorua came up with an idea. The Rotorua Canopy Tours Company designed a series of ziplines that sit above the forest canopy (top). People can ‘zip’ from one section of the forest to another, looking down on the beautiful natural areas below. To see what ziplining looks like, check out this video.
I have tried ziplining and I really enjoyed it, however, I must admit that I was pretty scared to try it at first. How would you feel if you had the chance to go ziplining in Rotorua?
On your blog, tell us how you would feel about going ziplining in Rotorua. Try to use some descriptive words (adjectives) and action words (verbs) in your post!.
Zipling looks great and I would love to try it. I don't think I'll be scared because I'll be distracted by the beautiful nature below and around me. I think the best part would be feeling the brezze and getting to be alone.


Activity 2: A Protective Plant [4 points]
There are concerns about the water quality of some of the rivers, streams and oceans in and around New Zealand. Some people have suggested that we plant flowers and plants on the banks of our most polluted rivers to stop the spread of the pollution. Apparently, the plants can act as filters, absorbing some of the chemicals (pollutants) that are moving across the land, on their way to the river.
Planting can be a lot of fun! Have you ever planted a garden? Aronui and I are going to make our very own edible garden this year. We are going to plant a number of veggies, fruits and herbs, including mint, coriander, parsley, lemongrass, onions, tomatoes, beans, zucchinis, kumara and strawberries. Yum! If you could plant an edible garden what would you plant in it?


On your blog list 10 veggies, fruits, or herbs that you would plant in your garden.
* Strawberries
* Grape Vine
* Mint
* Basil
* Chives
* Kumara
* Potatoes
* Carrotes
* Apple Tree
* Pineapples

Activity 3: A House is Not a Home [10 points]

New Zealand is home to some unique wildlife that cannot be found anywhere else in the world. While we work very hard to protect our natural habitats so, too, do people living and working in other countries. One of the oldest international wildlife conservation organisations is called ‘Fauna & Flora International’ (FFI). They support a number of projects around the world, including those working to protect Lansan trees in the Caribbean, fruit forests in Tajikistan, and national reserves in Mozambique. Read about each of these projects and choose the one that interests you the most.

On your blog, tell us which project you find most interesting and why..

Lansan trees in the Carribean: I really liked this project because the trees are endangered. The trees are used for religious ceremonies, mosquitoe repellent and warding off evil spirits. The locals there have been  removing resin from the trees incorrectly, but the team there have been trained to remove the resin while keeping the tree alive. I think what they are doing is really good for the trees, but it is also good beacause it is creating jobs for people to work there. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Aaliyah,
    I like all the Fruits,Vegetables and herbs that you would put into your garden, I think most of the things in your garden will be helpful for other things like cooking and more.(Activity 2)

    Great work and keep it up
    Jerome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aaliyah,
    I like your explanation about you on a zip line,I think it would be a little scary but that depends on the height of the zip line.

    Great work and keep it up
    Jerome

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aaliyah,
    I like your explanation on the endangered trees, I liked it because you told us the information about the tree and how it helps.

    Great Work and keep it up
    Jerome

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aaliyah...great to see you blogging on the SLJ. There's still some time to complete the activities before school begins - how many more can you get done? Keep up the great work

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Aaliyah

    I see that you have now completed all of the Summer Learning Journey. What a superstar. Well done on working as hard as you have to get it all finished on time.

    I also think that zip lining would be amazing. I think the only 'scary' part would be my feet not touching anything. It would be fun to do alone but do you think you would take anyone with you to Rotorua? If so who and why?

    I love the list of fruits, veges and herbs that you have chosen to grow in your garden. I think kumara and mint would be my top two. Looking at that list, what food could you use those 10 items to cook?

    I look forward to your reply!

    Izzy

    ReplyDelete