Pages

Monday 19 December 2016

Learning the basics - Day 2

Learning the basics -
Now that you have chosen your country, it is time to decide where, within your country, you would like to visit. Many tourists will choose to visit the capital city of a country. It is often quite large and full of interesting things to see and do.
Activity 1
Before you go overseas it will be important that you learn a bit about the capital city of your country. Hop online and find out about the capital city of your country. Use this information to complete the five sentences below:

Answers:
  1. The name of the capital city is Santiago, Chile
  2. The population of the capital city is 5.128 million (2014) (I searched up on Google "The population of Santiago" but the latest was 2014!)
  3. In January, the weather in the capital city is usually (in the afternoons) VERY hot! With a average high temperature of 30 C (86 F)
  4. The capital city is located in the middle (northern, southern, middle) part of the country.
  5. The languages most commonly spoken in the capital city are Spanish. There is even more communities, but Spanish is the most spoken one.

Activity 2

One of the most popular activities in Madrid, the capital city of Spain, is called ‘Bullfighting.’ It has been a part of Spanish culture for centuries. In bullfighting people called ‘toreros and ‘matadors’ fight with a live bull. The toreros do most of the fighting and, ultimately, capture the bull and tie it up. Once it has been caught, the matador joins the fight and kills the bull. Although most toreros and matadors are men, there are some women who also compete in the sport.

Not everyone supports bullfighting in Spain. In fact, about 30% of the population want it to be banned (stopped) completely. What do you think? On your blog tell us whether or not you think that bullfighting should be banned in Spain. Please provide, at least, two reasons to support your decision.

C:\Users\rwil313\Desktop\Bullfighting picture.jpg
Answers:
Okay, the first reason why I think Bull fighting is wrong is because the way they treat Bulls. Bulls isn't actually an aggressive animal, the only reason why they get so angry is because the bullfighters actually abuse the poor creature for the past two days and it's just protecting itself. And it's not a fair fight. The bull has wet newspapers stuffed into his ears; vaseline is rubbed into his eyes to blur his vision; cotton is stuffed up his nostrils to cut off his respiration (breathing) and a needle is stuck into his genitals (Now that's just cruel.)

Not only bulls have to go through this suffering but back then horses too were made salves. The horse's vocal cords were cut so it couldn't scream in agony. The bull was forced to use it's horns to pierced through the horse's stomach. Most people don't actually know what happens behind the scenes that's why they think bulls are dangerous animals. 


Bonus activity
Wellington is the capital city of New Zealand. Have you been to Wellington? If so, please tell us about two things that you did when you were in Wellington.
If you haven’t had the opportunity to go to Wellington, follow the link to learn more about this very cool city: Discover Wellington.

On your blog, tell us what two things you would like to do if you had the chance to visit Wellington. Would you go to the botanical gardens or visit the Beehive? Perhaps you would prefer to go shopping on Cuba Street or go out for dinner on Quay Street…
Answers:

One the most exciting places I would love to go is Zealandia. It's the world's first fully fenced sanctuary and is filled with 18 species of native wildlife. I love animals so going to Zealandia will be very cheering. I except thei will be many different kinds of animals and insects I have never heard before.




7 comments:

  1. Hi Aaliyah

    I like your reasons about what you would do if you had the chance to go to Hamilton. I would love to go to Zealandia to because I have never heard of it before and I think that it would be lot lots of fun.

    Great work keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aaliyah, my name is Lisa and I live in Santiago, Chile with my husband and two children. It was nice to read about the research you have done about the country. Actually I think a lot more than 5 million live in Santiago now, people keep on arriving and it is growing all the time. Is there anything else you would like to know about the city or the country?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola Aaliyah,

    Well done on completing all the activities for day 2! I really enjoyed reading your blog today, I found it informative, interesting, and I learnt something about you.

    Nice fact hunting about Santiago, it sounds like you'll be going somewhere nice and warm - make sure you pack sunblock! It sounds like a big city too, they have more people there than the whole of New Zealand!

    I thought your argument against bull fighting was very well written. I think bull fighting is a cruel sport too, and I would be very upset seeing an animal being hurt (or worse) like that. I liked how you used a variety of facts to help form your opinion about bull fighting.

    Have you been to Wellington before? It's a beautiful city and a lot of fun, but very windy! My brother lives down there, so I try to visit whenever I can. I haven't been to Zealandia before, but the zoo is very close to where he lives and you can hear the lions roaring in the morning and at night from his house!

    Keep up the awesome work Aaliyah, I'm looking forward to reading Day 3 :-)

    Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aaliyaha. My name is Nina, and I'm from New Zealand but I am living in Chile for 3 years. If you want I can answer questions about living in Chile from my perspective. I speak quite a lot of Spanish so if you want I can teach you a few words. I think that we have a lot in common, I am also in year five even though in Chile they call it year four, I have a little brother but we don't play touch together, and I love maths and reading too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nina,
      It would be very helpful if you could teach me more about Chile.
      Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Hey Aaliyah,
    Wow first of all that's a lot of animals that Zealandia have. I would stop bullfighting because they don't deserve to be threaten like that and the people will get injured but they were the one's that wanted to do bullfighting so that's their problem. Also I think bullfighting is a dangerous thing to do and some of bulls there die and suffer the pain to get treated like that. Also Wow they must be hot in the afternoon because it is a very high temperature.

    Great Blogging. Keep the good work up!!!
    Jerome :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Jerome,

      This is a great comment! It's great to see you actively taking part in other people's blogs as well as your own. Well done! I have to agree with both Aaliyah and you about bullfighting. Well said!

      Dan.

      Delete