Pages

Thursday 4 January 2018

Summer Learning Journey | Week 4

Contemparary Kiwis
Day 1 - Turn of the Century (2000 - 2010)

Activity 1 | Celebrating a win 

In 2000, the country of New Zealand celebrated when Russell Coutts and his sailing team won their second straight America’s Cup. This was the first time that a team from New Zealand had won back-to-back championships! Many people celebrated the victory with their friends and family.

On your blog, tell us what you and your family do to celebrate special events, such as birthdays. Do you have a special meal or go to a specific place? In our house, we usually make a pizza and bake a special cake. What about you?

|| Special Occasions ||


What my family would do on a birthday is wake the special person up with breakfast in bed. It would be Pancakes with syrup and whipped cream along with some juice. 
Next, we would have gone to a restaurant or movies followed by going home to some cake! We'll sing "Happy Birthday" and they'll blow out the candles. Then everyone will have cake with ice-cream!


Activity 2 | Lord of the Rings

Arguably one of the most famous movie trilogies of all time, The Lord of the Rings, was filmed in New Zealand. All three movies were directed by a New Zealander named Peter Jackson. The first movie was released in 2001, the second in 2002 and the third in 2003. The movies cost an estimated $300 million to produce!  


Imagine that instead of spending the money on the movies, Peter Jackson decided to give all of this money to you. Lucky you! On your blog, tell us what you would do with $300 million dollars. How would you spend it? It is a lot of money so please think carefully about it and spend it wisely :-)

What will I do with my Money?

What I would do is share it with close family and friends, and with the leftover money I'll give it to Charity or save it for emergencies.
I would love to take my family (and extended family) on a Holiday to Hawaii or Fiji!
First class.



Bonus Activity | The rise of the Selfie

Although most of you are quite familiar with the idea of taking a ‘selfie’ (picture of ourselves), this was not always the case. In fact, it wasn’t until the early 2000s that people started talking about the idea of a selfie, taking selfies and posting them online.

In honour of the rise in popularity of the ‘selfie,’ take a selfie and post it on your blog. Try to show us at least one of your hobbies or one your favorite things (maybe a special toy or book). For example, here is a selfie of Hazel drinking a big mug of tea, and Rachel with her son, Aronui, attending a Paw Patrol show!


Spending time with Family

What I really enjoy doing is spending my time with family and going out to the beach!






2 comments:

  1. Hi again Aaliyah, I've enjoyed reading how you and your family celebrate special occasions. That's an awesome way to wake up on your birthday - with breakfast in bed! I tried this once but I knocked my food over and had to wash my sheets!

    Your family sound as though they know how to celebrate a birthday. How is Christmas different? What did you do to celebrate Christmas?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Aaliyah,

    My name is Emiely and I work alongside Billy at the Summer Learning Journey! :)

    Activity 1: What a lovely way to celebrate birthdays. Your family sure does know how to make someone feel special! Breakfast in bed sounds like a dream come true. On my birthday I usually go out to dinner with my family and I get to choose which restaurant I want to go to. Usually I like to go to an Italian restaurant because I love pasta! Do you have a favourite restaurant?

    Activity 2:Great thinking. It's always a good idea to have some money saved on the side in case of emergencies. You never know what could happen! You sound like a very generous girl, Aaliyah. That is very thoughtful of you to spend your money on other people like your family, friends and people who may be less fortunate. I use to cook meals for people who lived in hostels because I think it is important that we help one another. The world wouldn't be a very nice place if we weren't willing to help one another. It is very selfless of you to want to help others. What a great quality to have. :)

    Activity 3: What a beautiful selfie of you and your family! I love to go to the beach too. My favourite beach is Bethells Beach because I like to bring my bodyboard and slide down the sand dunes! Do you have a favourite beach?

    It's awesome to see how actively you have been blogging this summer! I know the Summer Learning Journey team have enjoyed reading and commenting on your blogs. We can't wait to see what else you will blog!

    Noho ora mai,

    Emiely :)

    ReplyDelete