Pages

Sunday 7 January 2018

Summer Learning Journey | Week 4

Contemporrary Kiwis
Day 3 - Social Systems (2000 - Present)


Activity 1 | Mixed Member Proportional (MMP)

In 1996, New Zealand adopted the MMP voting system. In September of 2017 we had a national election. Everyone in New Zealand, over the age of 18, was invited to vote for who they wanted to form the next government in New Zealand. The race was really close and in the end, three different political parties (Labour, New Zealand First and the Green Party), came together to form the new government. It is called a ‘coalition government’ because it includes different people from different political parties.

Imagine that you had to form a coalition government with two other people.  Who would you choose to partner with?

I would form a coalition with my son, Aronui, and with my friend, Amber. Aronui would be a great addition to the coalition because he is funny and kind. He would make us laugh and take care of us. Amber would be great because she is really smart and thoughtful. She is also good at making decisions. I think that we would form a great team. What about you? Who would you choose? Why?

Coalition Govermment

I would form a coalition govermount with my yougest cousin, Jazlynn. She would be a great help because she is very stubborn, she'll use her power of the tantrum to get whatever she desires. I could also use the help of my oldest cousin, Faith. She is very kind hearted and can sort things out using her own ways, she's also very smart and is very strategic.



Activity 2 | Migration

Over the past few decades, there has been a huge rise in the number of people coming to New Zealand to live and/or travel. I was one of those people! In fact, I moved with my family to New Zealand in 2010 and I am so glad that I did. It’s a pretty amazing place to call home! At the moment I live about 10 minutes from three stunning beaches and a beautiful national park.

Speaking of home, where do you live? On your blog, please post a picture of your hometown and provide a list of three things that tourists, like us, could do if we came to visit. What do you like most about your hometown? (Remember the guidelines for being Cybersmart, and never post your address online).

Auckland, New Zealand

Image result for Auckland

> Skywalk One thing you could do in Auckland is walk along the open ledge of the Skytower and experience the thrill of a lifetime.

> Kelly Tarlton's Sea Life Aquarium Here you can explore the deep sea and visit some amazing penguins!

> Mission Bay This is such a wonderful place to go to during the Holdays or weekends. There are lots of resturants and the beach there is stunning.

What I love about my hometown

What I love about my Hometown is the friendly communities and the many activities you can do there. 


Bonus Activity | Modern Learning Enviourment

Over the past few years, a number of schools have changed the way that they teach. Instead of one teacher working in one classroom with one group of students, some schools have built huge classrooms where many teachers work together to teach a big group of students. This is called a ‘Modern Learning Environment’ (MLE).
IMG_0725.JPG












Some people prefer Modern Learning Environments while others aren’t so sure. Take a look at the pictures above. The one on the right is a photograph of a traditional classroom, and the picture on the left is of a Modern Learning Environment.



Imagine that you are a teacher, and design your own classroom. What would it look like? What furniture would you have? I would love to have some beanbags for reading on.

Draw a floorplan of your classroom (either in Google Draw or on paper) and upload it to your blog. Describe what is special about your classroom and why you designed it this way.

I’ve drawn a classroom with pink carpet and bright coloured tables. I also included a kitchen so that we can do cooking every day and a HUGE bookshelf because I love to read! What would you like to see in your classroom?


My Classroom

What I like about my classroom is the Reading Cornor. I desinged it because kids mostly have problems with their Reading, and if they mastered that goal, reading will help them with writing and reading math problems.


1 comment:

  1. DzieƄ dobry Aaliyah,
    my name is Cia. I am a Ako Hiko Summer Learning Journey commentator who will be working with various bloggers over the summer break.

    Activity 1:
    You are obviously a great people reader, I like the way you pointed out your chosen coalition partners strengths. Had you thought about what you could offer your group? What are your strengths? Maybe next time you could come up with a political party name for your group.

    If I were to select coalition partners I’d pick my brother because he’s the no nonsense type and is good at committing to tasks even if he doesn’t like what he’s doing. My other partner would be my Mum because she is passionate and kind hearted but fair. My strength would be my ability to make good decisions that would be in the best interests of most, by weighing the pros and cons.

    Activity 2:
    I think you shared some great activities tourists could do here, the skywalk in particular would be great for adrenaline junkies! Perhaps next time you could include a picture of each place to give the readers a fair idea of what they may be in for.

    What I love most about auckland is its diversity, there are so many people who come from different backgrounds that have awesome stories to share. One of my favourite places to visit is Mission Bay, it’s especially relaxing in the evening. What is your favourite thing to do in Auckland?

    Bonus Activity:
    I like that incorporated a reading corner into your design, I think it’ll help improve reading and writing if people have a quiet space to use. If you could add anything to your classroom (money is not an issue), what would you put in there?

    You’ve posted some really descriptive and thoughtful work, it was a joy to read so keep up the great work!

    Toe feiloa’i fo’i ('See you again' in Samoan),

    Cia.

    ReplyDelete