Pages

Sunday 7 January 2018

Summer Learning Journey | Week 4

Contemporary Kiwis
Day 4 - Contemporary Entertainment (2000 - Present)

Activity 1 | Moana

In late 2016, the movie Moana was released by Disney. It’s a beautiful story about a young Polynesian girl from the fictional island of Motunui, who goes on a big adventure.

Watch the trailer for Moana and then write a summary of the movie on your blog. If you’ve seen the movie, you can include your favourite part! Tell us as much as you can about the movie. What is it about? Who are the main characters in the movie? What do they do in the movie? Where do they go?

Moana the Movie

I have already seen this movie and know a lot about it, but I'll make it short.
Basically, this is a movie about a polynesian girl, Moana who is chosen by the ocean to retrieve the heart of Te Fiti which is the core of the problem why their island and other islands are dying. She voyages across the sea and finds Maui, a demi god who is supposed to put back the heart himself. They find his hook, go to restore the heart of Te Fiti, but is confronted by a lava monster, Te Ka. They soon realise that Te Ka is Te Fiti and Moana puts back the heart. She turns back to Te Fiti and starts to heal the dying islands. Moana sails back to Motonui and becomes the chief, but instead of staying in her island, she goes with her people and voyages to find new ones.

My Favourite Part:

My favourite part of the movie was when Moana finds out that Te Ka was Te Fiti, I thought it made sense and was very surprised.

Activity 2 | Country Calendar

Did you know that the longest running television show in New Zealand history is a programme called ‘Country Calendar’? It started on 6 March 1966 and has been running ever since. The programme includes stories of everyday New Zealanders, many of whom are farmers.

Watch this short clip from Country Calendar. What do you think would be the most interesting and/or challenging things about being a farmer? Would you would like to be a farmer when you are older. Why/why not? Give us, at least, two reasons to support your answer.

Being a Farmer

I think the hardest thing about being a farmer would be having to start your day early and ending it late.

I would not like to be a farmer when I grow up because:

- I coudn't deal with all the mess and cow manure the animals make, It'll drive me nuts.

- I think planting crops, for me would be very difficut because every other plant i've tried to take of died.

Bonus Activity | Singing a different Tune

A number of New Zealand (NZ) singers and songwriters have recently burst onto the music scene, becoming popular both in NZ and overseas. One of these artists, Lorde, is gaining a lot of recognition for her unique style and songwriting ability. People all over the world seem to really like the lyrics (words) that she writes in her songs.

Think of your favourite song. Share the name of the song, the name of the person who wrote the song and the lyrics from the song on your blog. You must type the lyrics not cut and paste them in order to earn full points for the activity.

Favourite Song

One of my very old but favourite songs is writted by Michael Jackson, it's called "Man in the mirror."
I don't remeber all of the lyrics from the song but I think the chorus is very meaningful and touching.
"I'm starting with the man in the mirror, I'm asking him to change his ways. And no message could of been any clearer, if you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change."





4 comments:

  1. Sup Aaliyah,
    I like the song that you've chosen because it's a has a nice rhythm, Micheal Jackson was a boss at singing and one of the best.

    Great work
    Jerome ;)✌✌

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Aaliyah, I've also really enjoyed reading the bonus activity you have completed here. Michael Jackson is an awesome musician and I am glad you chose him for this task. Thank you for including a few lyrics from his song, Man in the mirror. You're right they are certainly meaningful lyrics.

    Last year, I would play a lot of Michael Jackson songs to my class. They would dance around loving it. It's great how his music is appreciated by people of all ages.

    What other musicians do you like?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey again Aaliyah, thanks for writing and sharing your opinion on whether or not you'd like to be a farmer. I think you're right, it would long hours and tough, physical work. It would all be very hard on your body.

    Can you think of anything you'd enjoy about it? I'd quite like being my own boss and not being told what to do all the time.

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sup Aaliyah,
    Activity 1 - I like your Summary because you are able to remember every part of the movie. I've only watched it 2 times.

    Also you've used your remembering skills to be able to tell the story.
    (Or you watched a video that tells the story)

    Great work
    Jerome;)

    ReplyDelete