Pages

Monday 18 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey 2017 | Week 1

In the Beginning (1800 - 1870)
Day 1 - Arriving in New Zealand

Activity 1 | The first Settlers

It is widely believed that the first people to arrive in New Zealand came from Polynesia. Most historians believe that they landed in New Zealand over 700 years ago. Although they were originally from many different countries, these settlers learned to live together and, eventually, formed their own distinct culture known as ‘Māori.’  Māori have their own language, traditions, and culture.

Follow this link to read a short story about a famous man in Māori mythology – Maui. On your blog, post three facts that you learned about this interesting man. What other stories have you heard about Maui?

Maui | Three interesting facts

- Maui owns a fishhook that is made out of a jawbone his ancestor, Murirangawhenua gave him which he then tied to some flax.

- While Maui was fishing, the canoe he was in with his brothers is now known as the south Island of New Zealand, and the fish he caught with his hook is the north Island.

- Whenever Maui says his old karakia, it always helps him in difficult situations.

Other Stories | Maui

- Maui and the Sun
- Maui and Tuna


Activity 2 | Setting Sail

The first settlers to come to New Zealand must have been really brave! They had to leave their original homes and sail thousands of miles across the ocean on a special boat called a ‘waka’ to reach New Zealand.

Imagine that you were on board one of the wakas. On your blog, write a short letter to a friend telling them about your voyage to New Zealand. In the letter be sure to tell them how you feel about moving to a new country. If it was me, I would have felt really nervous…

My Letter to a Friend

Dear Mikaela,
I will be going to New Zealand, a new Continent we have just found! I was excited when they asked me to join them on their voyage, but whenever I think about it, I just feel so anxious. I mean, I don't know what to except! A lot of things has been going through my mind lately, I think getting a letter back from you will help me calm my nerves.
Well, wish me luck on my voyage!
From, Aaliyah

Bonus Activity | Waka Ama

To this day, the people of New Zealand still use waka. Instead of using their waka to transport them from one place to another, they sometimes use waka in special events and in sporting competitions such as Waka Ama. Both boys and girls compete in Waka Ama boat races.



Watch this short video of a Waka Ama race. On your blog tell us whether you would like to be in a Waka Ama race one day. Why or why not?

Waka Ama | Will I join or not?

Well, to be honest I wouldn't want to be in a Waka Ama race because judging by the people in the wakas, it seems like you need a lot of muscle to get past that finish line. But other then that, I think it looks like a great sport to participate in, but just not the sport I would enjoy playing.





11 comments:

  1. Hey Aaliyah, congratulations on being so motivated to complete the three activities today. I love the facts you have chosen from the story of Maui. It's interesting how the North Island does actually look like a fish! It's funny how the brothers are bickering, "I think you've been eating too much kumara!" That reminds me of my two brothers. Do you have any other favourite myths and legends about Maui?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Billy,

      Thanks for commenting on my blog, I actually didn't read the part where I have to give my favourite myth about Maui, I'll make sure I'll put it in.

      Kind Regards,
      Aaliyah

      Delete
  2. I love your letter home to your friend Mikaela. That's very insightful, I'm sure you would have been feeling very anxious on the waka - not knowing where exactly you were going. I would be worried about storms out at sea and capsizing! What do you think your friend might write back to you saying?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done for completing the bonus activity, and thank you for your honest response! Personally, I don't think I would enjoy participating in the Waka Ama race either (although it would be good for building strength). I think I would find it a bit squashed and cramped with all those people in there! Plus, I'm not a great swimmer if we were to tip out. What kind of water sports would you prefer to play?

    Thanks again, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing Job, Aaliyah.You found really good interesting Facts about Maui.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dianne,

      It great to see you participating in the Summer Learning Journey too! I'll make sure to comment on your blog too.

      Kind Regards,
      Aaliyah

      Delete
  5. Hi Aaliyah,

    Wow your letter to Mikaela really expressed how you would feel if you were actually on the voyage. I can also relate to how you feel about not wanting to join waka ama.

    Keep up the Fantastic work!

    Katelyn : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Katelyn,

      I appreciate you commenting on my blog, I'll make sure to comment on your one too!

      Kind Regards,
      Aaliyah

      Delete
  6. Hey Aaliyah,
    Your activities for this day is amazing and in a matter of a fact it seems to be better than mine.

    As you know I really like organisation and I really like how you have set out your work but other than that I think that your letter to me was full of describing adjectives.

    To be honest the Waka Ama Sport IS in fact a sport that contains muscle and yes everything isn't for everyone and I do accept that.

    With all of your activities together they all are completely full of great work except that when it comes to any other myths that you know or like I think that it would be nice for you to explain those myths to those people who might not know about them.

    Mikaela, (AKA Your Best Friend)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Aaliyah
    My name is Sarah and I go to Glen Innes School
    Wonderful work you are so talented.
    What was your favourite activity?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Aaliyah,
    I like your work because you explain your answers so good,

    Good Work
    Jerome;)

    ReplyDelete