Pages

Thursday 28 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey | Week 3

The Post Wars (1951 - 1999)
Day 4 - Perms & Lycra (The 1980's)

Activity 1 | Hairy Maclary  

One of the most famous children’s stories to ever come out of New Zealand, Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy, was written by a kiwi woman named Lynley Dodd. The book was originally published in 1983. It is now sold in dozens of countries around the world. It features a small dog named Hairy.

On your blog, use the following sentence starter from the original book to finish the story.

“Out of the gate and off for a walk went Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy…”

To earn full points, your story should have, at least, 8-10 sentences.

Hairy Maclary

Out of the gate and off for a walk went Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy, into the world where he had many inquires. "Look! Flowers I wonder what kind, I wonder what other things I can find." Lamp posts, bikes and people all around, hey! It looks like I just made it into town. "I wonder what other things I can find, let's take a look into this shop; I hope they don't mind." Wow! There are books so big they could be the same size as me! And inside are stories as long as the sea. I read the whole thing! It took me awhile, but I can tell you one thing at the end it did make me smile. So, I walked back home, back to Donaldson's Diary, where I had just finished my journey of inquiries.


Activity 2 | The Big "OE"

In the 1980s it became increasingly common for students to graduate from high school and take a year off to travel and experience the world. This year was often referred to as the ‘Big OE’ or ‘Big Overseas Experience.’ A number of kiwis headed to places like Australia and England to live and work before returning to New Zealand to finish their studies.


Imagine that you are a student in the 1980s and you’re about to graduate from high school. Where would you like to go on your big OE? On your blog tell us which country you would visit and give us three (3) reasons for your choice. Find some pictures on the internet of things that you would like to see and do in this country.

I’d love to go to Switzerland and spend lots of time in the mountains, learning how to ski!

|| Brazil ||

> Christ the Redeemer | One of the most Iconic places in Brazil is the statue of Christ the Redeemer which I would love to go and visit. As a member of a church, I think it would be a very special and mesmerising event for me.

> Maracana | Since Brazil is well known for playing soccer, I would love to see one of their games. I have never seen a game, let alone watched one on Tv but I think it would be wonderful watching a soccer game in person.

> Ipanema | To end the day, I would love to go to one of their famous and fashionably beaches. Coming here when the sun is setting would be very beautiful, and would hold a memory in my mind forever.

Bonus Activity | The 4 O'clock News

In 1982, Te Karere, a Māori-language news show premiered on television. It has continued to stream live on TV to this day. If you would like to watch it, turn on TV One at 3:55 p.m. each weekday and you will see it. The show is often hosted by a man named Scotty Morrison.

Imagine that you were Scotty Morrison and you were able to interview anyone you wanted. I would choose to interview our new prime minister, Jacinda Ardern. I’d love to know what it is like to be the Prime Minister.  What about you? Who would you choose to interview and why? What would you like to find out?

Who would I interview? | Lorde

I would love to interview Lorde because I am very interested with how she made it to Hollywood. Being from a small continent where they don't have many opportunities for you can be hard, especially when your trying to make it to fame.

I would ask her: "Was it hard trying to become a well known singer across the globe?"






5 comments:

  1. Hi Aaliyah, I think that Lorde would be a very interesting person to interview.

    It's quite incredible that she has become so big when she comes from such a small country. I think I would like to ask her what it is like to sing in front of thousands of people.

    Do you have any more questions for her? Otherwise it might be a short interview!

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aaliyah,
    I think that Brazil is a mean as place to go to because it has a great sunset like you said, when you get older you could go if you saved money.

    Great Work
    Keep it Up
    Jerome HAPPY NEW YEARS

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Aaliyah, I really enjoyed reading your writing for the Hairy Maclary activity. It was great how you portrayed him as a curious dog, obsessed with everything. It's funny reading how he wanted to sniff and check everything out. That's how dogs usually are.

    Have you read a lot of Hairy Maclary books?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kia Ora Aaliyah,

    I really enjoyed reading about where you'd like to go on your big 'O.E' — Brazil is definitely on my list of places to visit, too!
    I like how you included three different attractions in Brazil and gave a nice summary. Ipanema looks like a sensible way to end the day, particularly in the beaches are so fashionable.

    What do you think they mean by "fashionable"?

    Keep up the great work and I'm looking forward to hearing your response.

    Cheers,

    Jordan

    ReplyDelete