Pages

Monday 18 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey | Week 1

In the beginning (1800 - 1870)
Day 2 - It's all in a day's work

Activity 1 | A House or Home?

In the 1800s, most Māori lived in villages called pa. Each village had many buildings – kauta where people cooked, pataka where they stored goods and wharepuni where the Māori slept. A traditional wharepuni had a thatched roof and walls made of timber, fern, rushes and bark. Look at the picture below of a traditional wharepuni. Does it look like your house?

On your blog, compare the wharepuni to your own home. What are two similarities and two differences between a wharepuni and your house?

Differences & Similarities | Traditional Wharepuni & Modern House

|| Differences ||

- The Traditional Wharepuni's doorway is small, so children and adults alike have to bend down on all fours just to get in. Modern Houses have larger doorways so children and adults can enter without a problem.

- The roof of the Wharepuni is made out of flax or hay and is supported with a bunch of solid sticks. Modern Houses' roofs have titles to withstand all weathers alike.

|| Similarities ||

- Both Houses are suitable (maybe) for anyone to live in.

- Both use earth based materials like: Wood, Adobe and Cobe. 

Activity 2 | The Rules of Engagement

During the early years in New Zealand, men and women would often marry at a young age. Women were expected to have babies and remain in the home caring for their children. Few, if any, left home in search of work. Men, on the other hand, were expected to work outside of the home.

These days, we don’t have the same strict expectations about work. Girls and boys can choose their own path in life. In fact, I was lucky enough to go to university and to follow my dream of becoming a teacher!

What is your dream job? Draw a picture of yourself doing your dream job and post it on your blog. You could be a doctor, an actor or even a zookeeper! I have drawn myself taking a picture of a beautiful castle in Poland because I would love to become a travel blogger and photographer one day.


My DLO | Dream Job

Unforuntaely, I didn't have any paper at home so I had to resort to making a DLO instead. My dream job was to be a photographer, all of the famous landmarks on the left are all the places I would like to take photos.

Click the photo above to get a better view


Bonus Activity | Special Meals



Back in the 1800s, most Māori ate a simple diet. They ate foods that they could catch in the water (eg. fish) or grow on the land (eg. kumara). They did not have access to a supermarket to buy food for their meals! Speaking of meals, what is your favourite meal? Mine is wood-fired pizza. Yum!



On your blog, post a picture of your favourite meal. Be sure to tell us what it is and why it is your favourite. You could also include the recipe if you have it so that we can all try it!

Image result for lasagna

Lasagna, Yum!
My mum always makes this meal on special occasions, sadly I don't have a recipe to provide, but trust me, it is delicious!






9 comments:

  1. Sup Aaliyah,
    I like lasagna too it's nice as i've had it lots of times.

    Great work
    Keep it up

    Jerome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jerome,

      Thanks for commenting on my blog, I'll make sure to return the favour.

      Kind Regards,
      Aaliyah

      Delete
  2. I like your dream job because you get to travel everywhere.

    Great work
    Smart thinking

    Jerome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Aaliyah,

    You found some great similarities and differences about your home and the Whahripuni home, but maybe next time you could find more interesting similarities.

    Wow even though you didn't have any resources to draw your dream job, you have still portrayed it fantastically and I love that its bright and colorful.

    YUM! that Lasagna looks delicious! I bet your mum is a amazing cook also lasagna is one of my family's favorite meals to eat for dinner.


    Keep up the Amazing Work !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Katelyn,

      Thanks for your advice, I'll make sure to comment back on your blog.

      It's great that our families share the same love for the same meal!

      Thanks,
      Aaliyah.

      Delete
  4. Hey there, what a wonderful comparison you have made between modern homes and wharepuni. I like how you have talked about the materials they would have used.

    What sort of differences would be on the inside? Like in the kitchen or how would the beds be different?

    I bet they wouldn't have a dishwasher!

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, what a wonderful dream job you have chosen. That would be so cool traveling the world and taking photographs. You could go to so many places. Where would you go?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there, that lasanga looks absolutely delicious. Could you tell me what the ingredients are since you don't know the exact recipe?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Aaliyah
    My name is Sarah and I go to Glen Innes School
    Hey what a wonder dream that you have , and I can tell you that you can reach that dream and rule it.
    Why do you want to be a photographer

    ReplyDelete