Pages

Thursday 21 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey | Week 2 Completed

A Period of Change (1870 - 1950)
Day 5 - Coming to an end

Activity 1 | VE Day!

After six long years of fighting, World War II finally came to an end in 1945. The entire country was ecstatic and parties were thrown all over New Zealand to celebrate VE Day (Victory in Europe). Imagine that you were living in New Zealand in 1945 and you had to plan a VE day party at your house. Who would you invite? What would you do to celebrate?

On your blog, tell us all about your (imaginary) VE party. If it was me, I would invite all of my closest friends and family over to my house for a big barbecue. We would eat hamburgers and play basketball in the driveway. Some of us would probably walk to the local beach to play soccer on the beach and to go for a swim (if the weather was warm enough)!

VE Party | Planning

> Invite all my close friends and family

> Go to the beach to have a bbq

> Play beach games like: Frisbee & Vollyball

> Eat Ice cream and have cold drinks


Activity 2 | Making a Fashion Statement 

Image result for 2017 clothing style winter
2017
Late 1940's
In the years following World War II, things slowly returned to normal in New Zealand. Soldiers returned home and settled back into regular life; and national sporting teams, like the New Zealand cricket team, got back together and started playing matches again. In the late 1940s, men and women would go to watch these events, men wearing hats and suits and women wearing dresses, hats, and gloves.
Compare the pictures of common clothing from the late 1940s to what you wear now (i.e. in 2017). Are they similar or are they quite different?

On your blog tell us which of the two styles you prefer and why. The pictures above were taken over 65 years ago! What do you think people will be wearing 65 years from now?


Late 1940's & 2017 | My Opion

To be honest, I would prefer the modern style. If I lived in the 1940's, I think I would of enjoyed the fashion trends and clothing, but I live in 2017, where fashion sense is totally different then before. 


Bonus Activity | Sweet Tooth

When World War II ended, a number of people from Europe moved to New Zealand looking for a peaceful place to live and raise a family. When they came, they brought recipes and foods from their native countries with them, including hamburgers, pizza and other delicious foods.

I usually have a chocolate chip cookie with my tea. I love biscuits! What is your favourite sweet treat or dessert? Use google to find a recipe for it. Type the recipe out on your blog. Make sure you also include a picture.

Perfect Pavlova | Recipe + Picture

Ingredients

6 egg whites (at room temperature)
2 cups Chelsea Caster Sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp white vinegar
2 tsp cornflour
300ml cream, whipped
Fruit for decoration


Pre-heat oven to 110ÂșC bake (not fan bake).
Line a baking tray with baking paper.
In a large metal, ceramic or glass bowl (not plastic), beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.


Continue beating while adding the sugar a quarter of a cup at a time. The mixture should get glossier and thicker with each addition and this should take at least 10 minutes. Beat in the vanilla, vinegar and cornflour.

Spoon mixture out onto the prepared tray into a dinner plate sized mound.
Bake for approximately 1 1/2 hours, until dry and crisp and it lifts easily off the baking paper. Turn the oven off and leave the pavlova for at least an hour before removing from the oven. Finish cooling on a wire rack. 
When completely cool, place on a serving plate, swirl the top with the whipped cream and decorate with sliced or chopped fruit of your choice.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Aaliyah,
    In Activity 1 I really like how you would invite your closest friends(me) do much other things including going to the beach and having a feed.
    I also think that your options of sport is great because it would be fun to play some Frisbee and Volley because I love Volleyball.

    During Activity 2, I like the way you said that you would prefer the "modern" style because I would too stating the fact that the thought of wearing clothing from the 1940's might have been very hot. Otherwise that I found 1 mistake that you had made when stating your "Opion" (Opinion).
    And if you could fix that it would be great.

    I'm so Proud of You!
    Mikaela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mikaela,

      Thanks for spotting that mistake I accidentally made. I'll make sure to correct it!

      Thanks.
      Aaliyah :)

      Delete
  2. Hi again Aaliyah, thanks for sharing this delicious recipe with us.

    Where did you find this recipe?

    I haven't had pavlova for a long time. I like the name, Perfect Pavlova, great alliteration.
    What fruit do you like on your pavlova?

    Did you have one at Christmas?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Aaliyah, thanks for completing these activities. I've enjoyed reading how you would celebrated the completion of the second world war. I love playing frisbee. We have this flat disc frisbee that you can throw for miles!
    What sort of food would you have on the barbecue?

    The fashion from the 1940's is completely different to today. I also prefer today's fashion, it seems like there's a lot more freedom and choice about what you wear. It's as though there are far more styles to choose from.

    Thank you!
    Billy :)

    ReplyDelete