Pages

Wednesday 27 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey | Week 3

The Post Wars (1951 - 1999)
Day 3 - Groovy Man (The 1970's)

Activity 1 | Ready to Roll

In the 1970s one of the most common television programmes was called ‘Ready to Roll.’ It was broadcast on Saturday afternoons and hosted by a man named Roger Gascoigne. During the show, Roger would introduce music videos and then play them for the TV audience. He also invited famous people to come onto the show and perform songs that were currently popular.  

Watch the following three clips that were shown on the Ready to Roll programme:


When you have finished, rank the clips in order from your most favourite (#1) to your least favourite (#3). Post your rankings on your blog.

| My Rankings |

> #1 Ray Columbus and the Invaders | What I really liked about this band (and song) is the enthusiasm they put while they're singing, I also liked the harmonises they added to their song.

> #2 New Zealand Underdogs | This song was very relaxing and a song you could listen to everyday, I also really loved the guitar playing in the background.

> #3 Golden Harvest | What I didn't really like about this song is how long the intro took, I had to skip a few seconds to hear him sing. What also bothered me was that I couldn't really understand what he was saying.


Activity 2 | Bell Bottom Pants

Fashion in the 1970s was quite unique. Take a look at the pictures of a ‘typical’ 1970s outfit and tell us, on your blog, two things that you like about 1970s fashion and two things that you don’t like about the fashion of the day. I am not a huge fan of the patterned pants. What about you?

My Thoughts | 1970's Fashion

What I liked:

> What I thought was very intriguing was the bright colours the women wore, I think they would of been great for summer.

> I also liked the Button up shirts the men were wearing, I think simple colours suit men very well.

What I didn't like:

> One thing I didn't like about the shirts the men were wearing was how long the collar was, it was very unsatisfying.

> One thing I disliked about the women's fashion was the shirt the lady on the right was wearing, it was very unpleasant to see a shirt with a square front on a woman.


Bonus Activity | A Biliguial Schooling System

For much of the past century, schools in New Zealand taught students in only one language – English. In 1972, Ngā Tamatoa member, Mrs. Hana Jackson, submitted a petition to Parliament to ask the government to include the teaching of Te Reo Māori (the Māori language) and Māori culture in New Zealand schools. We still use petitions to this day when we want an organisation (e.g. a school) to make a change.

Think about your school. What is one thing that you would like change. Would you like to learn about different things? Maybe you think school should only be open 3 days a week?

On your blog, write a letter to your principal to try and convince him/her to make the change. Ensure that your letter is polite and respectful.

Dear Spx Principal

For years, our school has been open for 5 days each week just like any other school, but I would like ours to be the first to change! So I think our school should only be open 3 days a week. Why? Well, because students at our school start to feel very tired which is not good. This also means children begin to loose interest in school and don't make the effort to come, but if we change that to at least 3-4 days at school, they're feel very energised and ready to learn!
From, Aaliyah


                             

6 comments:

  1. Hey Aaliyah,

    I strongly agree with you our school days should be changed to 3 - 4 times a week because it will benefit the students and the teachers!

    If you were the principle and one of you students sent this letter to you, would you have agreed with the student or not?

    Katelyn : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sup Aaliyah,
    I agree with you that we could have 3 or 4 days of school then we can come early and be ready to learn.

    Great Work
    Keep it up
    Jerome:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Aaliyah, it's great to see you have been blogging heaps over your summer holidays.

    I liked reading your letter to your principal. It's a big ask. What do you think he will say in return? Perhaps you can strengthen your argument with a few more points about why it is a good idea.

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Aaliyah, thanks for completing another activity. I liked reading about your thoughts on the fashion from the 1970's. There's definitely some things I like about it and some I don't. I quite like the men's shirts but not really their pants or their haircuts. The women's fashion isn't as bad. However, I don't really like the lady's pants that are wide at the bottom.

    So which do you prefer? The fashion from today or the 1970's?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mōrena Aaliyah,

    My name is Jordan and I'm the Kootuitui (Papakura, South Auckland) cluster manager. Alongside Billy, I have the absolute pleasure of commenting on your blog this summer (although we only have 2 days left of the programme!)

    Thanks very much for completing all of these activities, I really like that for Activity 1: Ready To Roll, you've told us the name of the host of the television programme. You also provide a lovely description and reasoning as to why you've ranked them in the order that you have.

    You mention that you love the guitar playing in the background to one of the songs; do you yourself enjoy playing guitar? If not, do you have any other instrument that you can play?

    Keep up the great work Aaliyah!

    Cheers,

    Jordan

    ReplyDelete