Pages

Tuesday 19 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey | Week 1

In the beginning (1800 - 1870)
Day 4 - Hitting a High Note...

Activity 1 | The Waiata: A song in your Heart

In the past, Māori would often use song as a way of sharing information or communicating emotions.  A waiata is the name given to a traditional Māori song. One of my all-time favourite waiata is Kia Paimarie. What about you?

Use Google to research traditional Māori Waiata. Listen to a number of Waiata and read the lyrics. On your blog tell us which one of the waiata you found you like the most. Why do you like it?

My Favourite Waiata | He Honore

I really like this song because of the lyrics (In the description of the video). It is very heart touching and the people in the video have great voices which makes the song even better!

Acticity 2 | Playing Games

Hundreds of years ago, young Māori children were taught to play a number of games, including Poi Rakau, Ki O Rahi, Koruru Taonga and Poi Toa. Read about each of these four games on the Rangatahi tu Rangatira website. Have you played any of them before? Isn’t it cool how the games have been passed down for generations?

Choose one game, and on your blog, tell us the (i) name of the game, (ii) the goal or purpose of the game, and (iii) two rules.

You could try playing some of the games with a friend.

Playing Games | Poi Toa

Name of the Game:
Poi Toa
The goal of the Game:
To pass, throw or kick the Poi. (This Poi is different to "performance" Pois).
Two Rules:
- No throwing the spinning Poi to deliberately hit your opponent above the waist.
- The Poi must stay in motion when throwing it to another person.

Bonus Activity: Musical Festivals | Matatini

In New Zealand, a huge festival is held every two years, called Te Matatini. This performing arts festival celebrates the tikanga (culture or customs) of Māori. Kapa Haka groups from around New Zealand are invited to attend the festival and each group gives a 25-minute performance. The performances are judged and the best teams win prizes.

The gold medal winning team from this year (2017) was Te Kapa Haka o Whāngārā Mai Tawhiti.

Watch these three clips from previous Te Matatini festivals.

Te Iti Kahurangi

Te Puku o Te Ika


On your blog, rank the performances from your favourite (#1) to least favourite (#3) and tell us why you gave them the ranking that you did.

My Rankings | Te Matatini Festival

#1 Te Puku O Te Ika - What I really liked about this performance was that it sounded very emotional and soulful. It could be in remembrance of the elderly man they were holding a picture of. I also really enjoyed the harmonies.

#2 Tamatea Arikinui - I really found this performance entertaining because of the Pois, also their singing was well in sync which I felt was very pleasing.

#3 Te Te Iti Kahurangi - What I didn't really like about this performance of the instrument that the man used while the lady was singing. It was pretty distracting.


7 comments:

  1. Hey Aaliyah,

    I enjoyed the waiata because it has a very beautiful meaning.

    Keep up the fantastic work!

    Katelyn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Katelyn,

      Thanks for commenting on my blog, I'll make sure to return the favour.

      Kind Regards,
      Aaliyah

      Delete
  2. Hey Aaliyah,

    Good morning and thank you for completing more activities! Well done you are doing so well.

    I love the waiata you have chosen, it is really nice.

    Can you tell me what it translates to? There's a description underneath the video.

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aaliyah
    My name is Sarah and I go to Glen Innes School
    How wonderful Aaliyah you completed the whole activity. Nice going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sarah,

      Thanks for commenting on my blog, I'll make sure to return the favour!

      Regards,
      Aaliyah

      Delete
  4. Hey Aaliyah, it was great to read your three reviews of those performances. I noticed that you saw two different purposes for the performance - to entertain and also to move you emotionally. Well done, that's a very mature comment.

    It's great that you are also judging their singing, dancing, props etc. And recognising that a performance involves lots of different aspects.

    Have you ever been apart of a performance?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Aaliyah,

    Ruby here from the Summer Learning Journey team!

    It enjoyed reading your activity describing the game Poi Toa. I've never played it before, but it sounds like it could be a lot of fun! Have you played it before?

    My favourite game that was on the Summer Learning Journey website is Poi Rakau. I like it because it's about hand-eye coordination and I'm much better at that than I am running! Poi Toa sounds like it would be the same.

    I look forward to reading more of your blog over summer.
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete