Pages

Tuesday 19 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey | Week 1

In the beginning (1800 - 1870)
Day 3 - It's all in the family

Activity 1 | The More, the merrier?

In the 1800s, most families were pretty big. In fact, many parents had an average of seven to nine children.  Imagine that you were a child in the 1800s and you had nine siblings.

On your blog, please tell us how you would feel. Would you enjoy being a member of such a large family? Why or why not?

Being in a big Family | My Thoughts

Since I already live in a gigantic family, and my parents who grew up with nine siblings, I think it won't bother me much. But that doesn't mean I won't get angry at times like I do now.

Activity 2 | Acknowledging Ancestry

All of us are members of a family. Some of us have large families and some of us have very small families. When I have the opportunity to talk about my family and my ancestry I sometimes choose to use a pepeha. It is a very special way of identifying who I am and where I come from. There are many different versions of pepeha but most provide people with information about who you are and where you come from (i.e. your whakapapa). Use the template provided below to prepare your own unique pepeha. If you need help please watch this short movie clip on preparing a pepeha.

My Pepeha
Ko Mt Wellington te maunga. The mountain that I affiliate to is…
Ko Tamaki River estuary te awa. The river that I affiliate to is….
Ko ? tōku tīpuna. The waka that I affiliate to is…
Ko Laufa tōku iwi. My founding ancestor is…
Ko Patai tōku hapū.  My tribe is…
Ko Almonte tōku marae.
Ko Almonte, Canada ahau.
Ko Leslie rāua, ko Ron oku mātua.
Ko Rachel tōku ingoa.

Ko Mt Wellington te maunga. The mountain that I affiliate to is…
Ko Tamaki River te awa. The river that I affiliate to is….
Ko Te ? Waka. The waka that I affiliate to is…
Ko Laufa tōku iwi. My founding ancestor is…
Ko Patai tōku hapū.  My tribe is…
Ko Timu tōku hapū. My sub tribe is...
Ko ? tōku marae. My marae is...
Ko Auckland, New Zealand ahau. I am from…
Ko Epi rāua, ko Joe oku mātua. My parents are … and …
Ko Aaliyah tōku ingoa. My name is …


Bonus Activity | Fun Family Facts


Everyone’s family is unique. What makes your family special? Choose three people close to you and ask them what their two favourite things to do in summer are.

On your blog, write two fun facts about each person. For example, my Nana plays the bagpipes!

Family Members | Summer Fun

My Niece:

- "I love going out to places like Mission Bay to enjoy some Ice-cream."
- "I also like to play water games outside since it has been blazing hot."

My Mum:

- "I love going to the beach when it's hot."
- "I also love to read books while in the shade or indoors."

My Nephew:

- "I like to play rugby with my cousins"
- "I love eating Ice blocks, my favourite is the lemonade flavour."

Family Fun Facts

My Brother:
He is a skilled guitarist.

My Niece:
She has a collection of shells from every beach she has visited.

My Cousin:
She has learnt to play the saxophone.

4 comments:

  1. Hi there Aaliyah,

    My name's Ruby and I'm one of the people who will be blogging with you over summer.

    Activity 1: Good on you! I don't think it would feel that much different for me either. I wonder how you feel about being in a big family now. How many people are in your family? I have 6 in mine.

    Activity 2: Well done with your pepeha, you have done some great work here. Can you tell me about who you have chosen as your founding ancestor? I would love to hear some more about them!

    Activity 3: You've done a great job here of telling us what your family like to do. I like to read books just like your Mum!

    Could you tell me some fun facts for each person? A fun fact for my sister is that she uses acorns to dye fabric. A fun fact about my brother is that he collects shells from all over the world.

    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aaliyah,
    I can see your family must love and enjoy the summer time. Your Nephew must love to play rugby.

    Great Work!
    Keep it up!

    Jerome:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Liyah!
    To be honest I think that even though you are going ahead of each day you still are doing great work because today is just Day 3.

    Activity 1;
    I like the fact that you aren't bothered too much about having more siblings because I know that you have a lot already, but what if they were all living with you in your house and you also had younger siblings as well.

    Well if you could reply to my comment it would be great otherwise that's all good for now.

    From Your One & Only B.F, Mikaela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aaliyah
    My name is Sarah and I go to Glen Innes School
    What a wonderful writer you are
    And you're right everyone families are unique.

    ReplyDelete